Thursday, August 2, 2012

Stanley Levitt sentenced to 10 years probabtion

Boston Globe   One-time religious instructor for a prominent Brookline school today was sentenced to 10 years probation for sexually abusing three of his students in Boston during the 1975-1976 school year.

The probation sentence was imposed on Rabbi Stanley V. Levitt by Suffolk Superior Court Judge Geraldine Hines one day after Levitt pleaded guilty in the Boston courthouse to four counts of indecent assault and battery on a child. 

He faced up to 40 years imprisonment if given the maximum, and Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office today asked Hines to imprison Levitt for 2½ years. But Hines refused the request from prosecutors, saying from the bench that she was going to adhere to a plea agreement that was reached last fall between prosecutors and Levitt’s defense attorney, Scott Curtis.

6 comments :

  1. Now what do you think would've happened if this would have gone to Beis Din instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you noticed his beard is all tied up in a bunch because he follows a Chasideshe Chumra not to trim his beard he must be a very frum person

    ReplyDelete
  3. This guy was very friendly towards me when I was 13 years old, and my father a"h told me I was forbidden to speak with him. Next time he came to see me I told him my father would not let me talk to him, and that was that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Now what do you think would've happened if this would have gone to Beis Din instead?"

    10 years probation seems extraordinarily lenient to me. True, now it is all out in the open, which likely would not be the case had a beis din been dealing with it. Otherwise, the difference seems slight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. he taught in Maimonides. I wonder if R' Shachter would permit people to beat the hell out of this sicko...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this guy in shul this Shabbos. I wanted to throw up. The chevra there didn't know anything about him so I filled them in. Needless to say they did not give him maftir (as they had planned to do) but they did not throw him out.

    Rabbi E, what is the halacha with regard to my telling the people in shul about him? He claims he never did anything wrong, but only pleaded guilty because he was going to get probation, and otherwise would have gone to trial. He never actually did anything to me, so I have no firsthand knowledge of his wrongdoing...

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.