Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Bronx Man Arrested For Manslaughter After Beating Wife’s Attacker To Death


A husband has been arrested after police said he beat a man to death who was allegedly trying to rape his wife inside their apartment in the Bronx.

Mamadou Diallo, 61, has been charged with manslaughter, police said.

Just before 9:30 p.m. Monday, police responded to 911 calls at an apartment building on Washington Avenue.

Diallo’s son Abdul said his mother and sister were alone inside their apartment when they heard a knock on the door. When they answered, police said an attacker rushed in and started beating the mom and then pulled off her clothes.

The victim was able to break free and grab a phone to call her Diallo, who was outside the building, police said.

Diallo came rushing inside and met the attacker on the sixth floor hallway, police said. That’s where police said Diallo beat the suspect, who has been identified as 43-year-old Earl Nash.[...]

Diallo was then taken into custody. His son Abdul said he would have done the same thing.

“I think any husband would do the same thing as what he did,” he told CBS2’s Magdalena Doris. “You see your wife being attacked and sexually harassed, you’re going to beat on the person. You are not just going to sit there and let the person leave or whatever. So I don’t think he’s wrong.” [...]

Court reduces sentence for man who killed his rapist

Times of Israel   The Supreme Court on Tuesday reversed the 2013 murder conviction of a man who killed his own rapist, convicting him of manslaughter instead. Yonatan Hilo will serve a 12-year prison sentence, down from his initial 20 years.

In 2010, Hilo killed Yaron Ayalon, after Ayalon repeatedly raped, robbed and blackmailed him over a period of several months.

In December 2014, the Lod District Court — while recognizing Hilo as a rape victim — rejected his self-defense claim on the grounds that he hadn’t reported the assaults to police and that several weeks had elapsed between the last assault and Ayalon’s killing.

But in its response to Hilo’s appeal on Tuesday, the Supreme Court recognized the “ongoing taunting” that Hilo had suffered “over a long period of abuse by the deceased toward the appellant, which included a web of violent incidents, threats of violence including threats on the appellant’s life, financial extortion and sexual abuse, which included two acts of sodomy.”

In their verdict, the judges wrote that this was “one of the cases in which the law falls short of encompassing the full complexity of life and of human suffering.”

Consideration for the distress of an individual had to be balanced against society’s need for justice, the judges wrote. They added that the need to protect the sanctity of life for all, including those who have committed crimes, had to be considered alongside the fear of legitimizing an individual’s authority to mete out justice and revenge.

Hilo’s lawyer, Alon Eisenburg, told Israel Radio that his client should have been completely cleared of any crime. [...]

Monday, May 30, 2016

At 96, Dr. Heimlich Uses His Own Maneuver on Choking Victim


Since he invented the Heimlich maneuver, Dr. Henry J. Heimlich had spent decades demonstrating the lifesaving technique on people willing to play the role of a choking victim.
But this week, Dr. Heimlich, 96, said he got to do the real thing.
He used the abdomen-squeezing maneuver on Monday night on an 87-year-old woman who was choking at their senior residence community in Cincinnati, popping a morsel of meat out of her mouth.
“I felt it was just confirmation of what I had been doing throughout my life,” he said in an interview on Friday. [...]
“I made a fist of my right hand — you can do it with either hand, by the way — and put my arms around her,” he said.
He placed the thumb side of his fist just above her belly button and below the chest to compress the air in her lungs. “I did it three times, and it apparently was pretty much done on the first time,” he said. [...]


Sunday, May 29, 2016

Additional details regarding the Jerusalem mashgiach accused of abusing relatives

CHANNEL 10 NEWS

כיצד התגלגלה תלונת בנות המשפחה שהותקפו אל חוקרי המשטרה? מה פסק הגאב"ד המפורסם מירושלים לנפגעת ובעלה שבאו להתייעץ? מי חקר את המתלוננות? • המחדל: כיצד דלפו תמונתו ופרטיו של 'המשגיח התוקף' מהמחשב המשטרתי אל קבוצות הוואטס-אפ החרדיות? • הפעילים החרדים שהניעו את החקירה וגורם משטרתי בכיר מספרים

פרטים חדשים על פרשת 'המשגיח התוקף': המשגיח מהישיבה הממוקמת בשכונת בית וגן בירושלים, שנעצר בחשד שתקף באכזריות שלוש נשים מבנות משפחתו, הסגיר את עצמו למשטרה, לאחר שיממה קודם לכן נמלט מביתו.
גורם משטרתי בכיר אישר גם בשיחה עם כתב חרדים 10, כי התלונה כנגד 'המשגיח' הגיעה מאחת בנות המשפחה בה בוצעו המעשים החמורים, לאחר שהתקבל אישור של גאב"ד ידוע, העומד בראש בית דין בירושלים.
הפרשה החלה לאחר שמידע על המעשים החמורים שבוצעו בבנות המשפחה הגיע אל שלושה פעילים חרדים. "פנינו אל גורם משטרתי בכיר וזה הנחה אותנו לשוחח עם האשה ועם בעלה על מנת שיגישו תלונה במשטרה", הם מספרים.
בני הזוג התלבטו ופנו להתייעצות אצל הדיין הבכיר מירושלים. הדיין, שנחשף למעשים המזעזעים, אישר לבני הזוג בכתב ידו, ברמה ההלכתית, להגיש תלונה במשטרה כנגד המשגיח.
עם האישור פנו שלושת הפעילים אל הגורם המשטרתי, וזה תיאם פגישה בינם לבין מפקד מרחב מוריה במשטרה ונציגי פרקליטות מחוז ירושלים.
הגורם הבכיר סיכם עם גורמי החקירה כי החשוד יובא לחקירה במשטרה, בתנאי שיוטל צו איסור פרסום על שמות כל המעורבים בפרשה, שכן על המקרה לא חלה חובת דיווח.
לאחר הסיכום של הגורם הבכיר, נפגשו שלושת הפעילים החרדים עם גורמי החקירה וגוללו את כל הידוע להם על הפרשה.
"עם הגעת התלונה הרשמית, תיאם הגורם המשטרתי הבכיר את הפגישה בין המתלוננות לצוות החקירה, ודאג כי את הבנות יחקרו דווקא שוטרות חרדיות, כדי להקל עליהן", הם מספרים.
הגורם המשטרתי אישר בשיחה עם חרדים 10 את הפרטים.

Rivky Stein Weiss: Why are those websites still up?

The following post has been removed three times by an unknown hacker. Am working on adding another site  Daas Torah

Would appreciate any advice on dealing with this security problem.
I just received the following letter from Rivky Weiss with a request to post it. I have no independent knowledge of the allegations being made and I am simply presenting her claims.

I know everyone has a lot of questions about what happened to us. However we are still fragile and are not ready for public discussions about our marriage at the current moment. However in regards to the website redeemrivky - it was put up by my brother Ezra Stein who lives in Israel. He pressured me to go to the media and he created this website. I have asked him numerous times to take it down but he has refused. He has told me that I need to pay him money to take it down. 
In regards to the go fund me website, I did not receive a dollar from it. My brother Ezra switched everything to his account and took all the money. He now refuses to take down the website. He doesn't seem to care for me or my children. He only saw an opportunity on how to make money off of me when I was in my most vulnerable and weak state . 
When I was being evicted from my place I begged my brother Ezra to release some funds to me so I could find a place. He responded by telling me to go to a shelter with my children. I started looking for shelters but they were all full. Thank G-d, due to the kindness of one of my foster mothers I was able to secure a place for myself and my children. 
I have asked Ezra on numerous occasions to take down the site.  I am now publically asking him to please take down the website and that all the money that was donated should be given back to those who donated. That is simply because this money was given to help me in my time of need. Ezra refused to release the funds to me at that time and refused to give me any of the funds after the entire court process was over as well. Therefore I feel the right thing to do would be to refund the money. 
Bottom line - I have no control over the website or the go fund me account that was made to help me. I have not received any of the funds that were donated. Only my brother has the legal authority to take them down and he has the money that was raised. He needs to take down the website and  to return the money. 

Friday, May 27, 2016

Tel Aviv 'police brutality' claim exposed as false


Analysis of footage shows Bedouin employee attacked cops first, prompts journalist to apologize for condemning police.

Israeli media raised an uproar after security cameras apparently showed an Arab Israeli supermarket worker in Tel Aviv being hit by eight police officers- but a closer investigation of the footage has debunked the claims of unprovoked police brutality, and even caused some in the media to apologize.

Maysam Abu Alqian, 19, a Bedouin Arab from the Negev town of Hura, was asked by plainclothes Border Police officers on Sunday to see his teudat zehut (ID card) as he stood outside the Super Yuda store in central Tel Aviv where he worked.

According to Alqian, he refused to show his ID until an officer in uniform showed up, and he claims that the plainclothes officers began hitting him for no apparent reason.

But during an internal police investigation of the incident, a close examination of the security camera footage revealed by Walla shows the officers were actually attacked first and responded according to protocol. [...]

An analysis of the footage led at least one leading figure in the media to retract his initial accusations against the police.

Ben-Dror Yemini, a Yedioth Aharonoth columnist, wrote on Facebook on Wednesday: "I was wrong. I'm sorry."

"Immediately after the incident between the Bedouin youth and the officers in central Tel Aviv I published a short post condemning the police. But a check of the video footage frame by frame, which was done by Avi Ashkenazi on the Walla site, reveals that the officers apparently did indeed present documentation, and they were not the ones who started the pushing that led to violence."

"I demand that others respond to the facts. The facts prove that I was wrong," he concluded.

But despite the revelations, the backlash fueled by the initial reports of the incident have led to an outpouring of contributions for the Bedouin teen who refused to show his ID to the officers and proceeded to hit them.

According to reports on Thursday around 1,000 Israelis have raised over 100,000 shekels (over $26,000) for Alqian to pay for his university tuition fees.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Divorce: Division of assets when husband leaves vs wife leaves husband

One of the areas of great relevance to the contemporary religious Jewish community is what happens to financial assets when a couple divorce. While there clearly is an emphasis on equitable division in secular law - the same is not so according to halacha.

According to the accepted halacha the husband owns everything except what the wife brought into the marriage. Therefore split of property and assets and giving the wife alimony and child support - has no basis in halacha. In fact if the wife is given these by a secular court, it is considered theft since she has no right to them.

One of the attempts to change this is a Rema which says that we follow the common custom in division. But does dina d'malchusa constitute the minhag? That is a discussion for another time.

I was recently told of an approach which says that the above is only relevant when the wife either deserts her husband or says he disgusts her and demands a Get. Is it different if the husband deserts the wife and demands a Get from her? [to be continued]

In Switzerland, Muslim schoolchildren who refuse to shake their teacher’s hand may be fined $5,000



In Switzerland, the humble handshake between a teacher and children at the beginning and end of the day — a tradition throughout much of the country — has become an unlikely battleground in a public debate about religious freedom and sexual equality. Now, one Swiss canton has added a financial element to the controversy, warning families of children who refuse to shake hands with their teachers that they would face a fine of up to $5,000.

In April, two students at a school in the town of Therwil, near Basel, had requested an exemption from shaking a teacher's hand. The two teenagers, brothers from a Syrian family, had suggested that shaking a woman's hand went against Islamic teachings. In a compromise, the local school district ruled that the two children would not have to shake any teacher's hand, whether male or female.

After Schweiz am Sonntag newspaper reported about this, however, the agreement with the school district began to come undone. A widespread debate about immigration and integration erupted in the Swiss press, with many arguing that the students' calls for religious freedom was at odds with the Swiss tradition of gender equality. "We cannot accept this in the name of religious freedom," Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga said in an interview with Swiss-German broadcaster SRF. "The handshake is part of our culture.”[...]

The regional education authorities in the Basel-Country canton had initially stayed out of the debate, but they released a statement on Wednesday that reversed the school district's decision. The schoolchildren would be required to shake the hand of their teacher, the statement said, or their guardians would be fined.[...]

The situation is the latest controversy over the role of Islam in Swiss society. Muslims are thought to constitute about 5 percent of Switzerland's population, but many Swiss argue that the community has not integrated fully. In 2009, Swiss voters banned the construction of minarets, and last year the canton of Ticino made the wearing of a burqa in public punishable by a $10,000 fine. There have also been other disputes involving education, with some Muslim parents fined for demanding that their daughters be exempt from swimming classes.[...]

Switzerland's Muslim community had largely refused to support the boys' refusal to shake hands, pointing out that it was a Swiss tradition that many Muslims quite happily accept. To "the students and parents I would suggest the following reflection: Can the denial of shaking hands be more important than the Islamic commandment of mutual respect?" Montassar Ben Mrad, president of Federation of Islamic Organizations in Switzerland, had said in the statement.

Eleven states sue Obama administration over bathroom guidance for transgender students


Eleven states and state officials filed a lawsuit Wednesday challenging the Obama administration over federal guidance directing schools to allow transgender students to use restrooms and other facilities that match their gender identities.

The federal lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, states that the guidance “has no basis in law” and could cause “seismic changes in the operations of the nation’s school districts.”

State officials have hinted they might file a legal challenge since the Obama administration released a letter earlier this month from the Justice Department and the Education Department that the federal agencies said was in response to questions from schools around the country.

“There is no room in our schools for discrimination of any kind, including discrimination against transgender students on the basis of their sex,” Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said in a statement when the letter was released. “This guidance gives administrators, teachers, and parents the tools they need to protect transgender students from peer harassment and to identify and address unjust school policies.” [...]

This lawsuit — which bears the names of nine states as well as a governor and another state’s education department — is the first filed in response to the administration’s letter. Although some politicians, parents, elected officials and school districts embraced the directive, others aggressively argued against it and said the administration was overstepping its authority.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) almost immediately said his state would fight the letter because President Obama is “not a king.” Ken Paxton, the Texas attorney general, accused Obama of trying to “bully Texas schools into allowing men to have open access to girls in bathrooms” and vowed a legal fight. [...]

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Palestinians arrested for anti - Israeli rape against mentally-disabled woman


Two Palestinians are in currently in custody for allegedly raping and urinating on a mentally-disabled woman in south Tel Aviv, in what police say was a racially-motivated crime.

The incident allegedly took place on Yom Haatzmaut earlier this month, inside the 20-year-old victim’s aunt’s apartment. During the act, Imad Aladin Dragame, 42, allegedly filmed the rape, which police say was carried out by two other Palestinians – including a minor – who urinated and spit on the woman while shouting anti-Semitic slurs at her and threatening to murder her aunt and brother if she complained.

The third suspect in the case remains at large, while the minor and Dragame were on Wednesday ordered kept in custody for an additional 5 days. For Dragame, a resident of Nablus with a legal permit to work inside Israel, it was the third remand hearing since he was arrested on May 16th, following a complaint by the victim’s aunt. He also faces drug charges after police allegedly found 11.5 grams of marijuana in his apartment, which is in the same building as the victim’s aunt.[...]

Sgt. Maj. Yisrael Sianov, the officer representing the police [...] continued, “in addition, they threatened her not to tell anyone, saying they would rape her aunt and murder her brother. This is a shocking incident.”

Last March, the Defense Ministry recognized the victim of a 2012 rape in Tel Aviv as a terror victim, due to the nationalist nature of the attack. [...]

Bnei Brak mashgiach accused of molesting students - has left Israel

kikar haShabbat

משגיח מישיבה חרדית מוכרת נעלם מהארץ לאחר טענות נגדו על פגיעה בבחורים. אחד מהם, מדבר לראשונה בשיחה עם "כיכר השבת": "אמרו לי 'אם המשגיח עושה משהו כנראה שהוא יודע'" (חרדים)


חרדית מוכרת ממרכז הארץ, נמלט מהארץ בימים האחרונים לאחר סדרה של טענות למעשים חמורים כלפי תלמידים במוסד. בשיחה כואבת עם "כיכר השבת", מדבר לראשונה אחד מבוגרי הישיבה, שלטענתו נפגע על ידי אותו משגיח.
י' (שם בדוי), מעלה טענות קשות ביותר נגד המשגיח הנמלט ונגד הישיבה בה למד במשך שנים. לדבריו, המשגיח פגע בו לפני מספר שנים בצורה קשה וחמורה בעת שלמד בישיבה. לטענתו, הוא סיפר על הדברים לחבריו, ואז הופתע לגלות כי ישנם בחורים נוספים שנתקלו במעשים דומים מצד המשגיח המדובר.
י' מספר כי התבייש לפנות לראש הישיבה ולספר לו על המקרה, אולם חבריו ששמעו על מה שעולל לכאורה המשגיח, פנו לראש הישיבה. לדברי י', ראש הישיבה השיב כי "אם המשגיח עושה משהו כנראה שהוא יודע מה לעשות, זה בסדר".
לאחר תגובתו של ראש הישיבה, י' החל לאסוף עדויות נוספות מתלמידים שלכאורה נפגעו מהמשגיח. לדבריו, הגיעו לידיו עדויות מוצקות על עוד שמונה בחורים לכל הפחות, שלמדו יחד עמו בישיבה ונפגעו לטענתם על ידי המשגיח. "חלק ניצלו לאחר שהתנגדו, אחרים נפגעו באופן קשה ביותר" אומר י'.
[...]